The Woodward Academy facility, the former Lafayette Clinic building, was constructed in 1954, with additions in 1967 and 1980 and a partial renovation in 1998. Woodward Academy was first authorized and operated as a public charter school in September 1996. Central Michigan University has authorized Woodward Academy since this time.
The Academy was founded on the premise that a person's ability and willingness to learn will equip them with the tools and resources to be successful in life. Hence, "Knowledge is Power."
Woodward Academy is 100% TUITION-FREE and remains to be the only school in Lafayette Park serving Kindergarten through Grade 8. In addition, the Academy has recently increased its commitment to promote education for all by offering full-time on-site daycare (beginning at 6 weeks old), exhaustive after school programming, Michigan Latchkey, Saturday School, Summer School, as well as a variety of parent education opportunities.
In addition to our challenging and exciting educational programs, Woodward Academy has created an atmosphere that is virtually an extension of the home. Adding to the programs listed above, Woodward Academy provides student transportation to and from school, free breakfast, lunch, and dinner is offered to all students, free academic tutoring is offered to all students before and after each school day Mondays-Thursdays, and a full-time social worker and a full-time counselor are on-site to assist families with a variety of resources.
Woodward Academy is a gated community that remains to be one of the safest schools in Southeastern Michigan. The Leadership Team pledges its commitment to student, staff, and community safety with the implementation of an exhaustive 24-hour video surveillance system, two security guards, an exhaustive emergency preparedness plan, an automated mass phone dialer program (to communicate emergencies or normal periodic updates), on-call site and facilities staff and security staff, and a dedicated and highly visible parent support group.
In recent years Woodward Academy has become increasingly popular with parents and peers as seen through:
· Approximately 9% student population increase from 2010-2011
· Achieving the school-wide school improvement goal in 2010
· Winning the Michigan School Breakfast Challenge "Gold Award" in 2010
· Establishing high expectations of all students attaining 1.5 years of growth in each academic year
· Establishing partnerships with Communities In Schools, Michigan Latchkey, Children's Corner of Detroit, Detroit Academy of Media and Fashion Design, Teach for America, Image of Success, Greyhound Technologies, KG Technologies, Lego Corporation, Sprint, Comcast, Tender Loving Child Daycare, and Harmony Point Computer Training Center (CTC); to name just a few
As Woodward Academy advances we welcome community involvement, and hope to meet the ever-changing needs of our beautiful community.